There’s a reason why time machines are a really bad idea. Oh sure, it’s kitchy to imagine yourself as a modern day Marty McFly. But have you ever stopped to consider how ridiculous the future looks? Just for a moment, imagine telling someone in 2000 what history would look like in 2020. Here are ten items off the top of my head . . . .
- Liam Neeson will be known as an action movie star
- The Twin Towers will have been gone almost twenty years
- Phones go mobile and people can literally do everything on them
- Movie theaters are still a thing. Blockbuster is not
- Tom Brady (who?) and the New England Patriots (what?) were the greatest dynasty in the history of American sports
- A pandemic will thrust the entire world into lock down
- The Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs are no longer title punchlines
- Donald Trump will be President
- Social media addiction is a thing
- No one gets lost thanks to GPS, no one goes on a ‘blind date’ thanks to Tinder and everyone remembers your birthday thanks to Facebook
The moral of the story is to remain in the present, because the future is much too crazy a thing to contemplate.